Since there are 14 of us hanging out here at the BookYArd, and my book, WORDLESS, debuts this new year of 2014 (like the majority of our books), I thought I’d use the number 14 in my introductory post. So without further ado, here are 14 semi-random facts about me and my book!
- I was a bibliophile who wanted to be an author before I knew what either of those words meant.
- Before I wanted to be an author, I wanted to be Indiana Jones.
- I also wanted to be an otter in Brian Jacques’ Redwall series. I sort of still do.
- Every summer in Alaska, my husband and I commercial fish for red salmon on our boat that I named the CATCH-22.
- The release date for WORDLESS—August 8th, 2014!—was partially determined by my fishing schedule.
- Eden City, the setting of WORDLESS, was inspired by Geneva, Switzerland, where my husband grew up.
- I am addicted to em dashes—it’s a problem.
- I’m also addicted to kimchi. I ferment it in five gallon buckets and then I eat all of it.
- I’m not addicted to, but am deeply love with micro-brewed beer from Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, and Michigan.
- While WORDLESS only has a touch of romance in it—but definitely a touch!—I’ve read GRACELING about 500 times for the intense romance. *swoon*
- The tagline for WORDLESS was inspired by the religious phrase, which I came across during my research for a previous book, but the story itself is not religious at all.
- I lived in China and was once conversant in Mandarin Chinese, but now I’ve been falling down on the job.
- I cooked over a wood fire and hauled water from a river on an everyday basis while living in the fishing village of Ebodje, Cameroon, for a few months.
- My name has a capital A in the middle of it.
In summation, much like this list my life is semi-random and more than a little crazy. Nice to meet you!